Monday, June 15, 2015

Beginning to feel like summer...

Another week and it is starting to feel like summer.... Which means it fiesta time here, everyone here has a fiesta party every day and it is all day long!!!




Wednesday we knocked on doors since no one was home or on the streets. Knocking doors is kind of fun, you never know who is going to be on the other side. We met 2 maids, a Joavah Witness, and a man who has been to SLC Church headquarters but doesn't want to hear more. That was rejection. I never thought rejection could have been harsher and truly hurt, but it didn't. Maybe if I did that every day it would hurt. What really hurt’s to me is when we have to drop investigators because they aren't going to church or reading the book of Mormon. Knowing the message we have and the things that we are teaching will change their life for the better. Plus after teaching and getting to know them for so long, then having to tell them we can't pass by any more. This really breaks my heart. I have come to love them so much!!

This past week I shared a message with a family preparing to go to the temple and I felt it was powerful moment!! A lot of the time I have no idea what I am saying words just leave my mouth. This time was no exception but it was the spirit speaking. We talked about how each of us has our goals to get eternal life How going to the temple will help them. It just put life into perspective. We only have a short amount of time on this life then we will return to live with God but we have to make goals to obtain that if that’s what we want. The Temple is always a good goal. 
Members are awesome!! This past week we got to help a member wash her clothes!! Saturdays in America = yard work. Saturdays in Cabo Verde = wash clothes. Both are hard work!!! I have no arm muscles. Lots of fun!! 



The language... 
Imagine going and learning English in Mexico. That is how I feel. Everyone speaks creole and you have no idea what they are saying. So then you just say I know the church will bless your lives. Then they say something else and you then invite them to church. Everyone says one day you will just wake up and understand creole. I am still waiting for that day. As for my Portuguese it is coming along. I really have to speak in simple terms because no one understands it. Which is good and bad I can teach great but I will not leave my mission knowing a lot of Portuguese. This just makes me study harder.

Funny story my comp and I invited this crazy guy to church. We met him on the street and talked to him for 30 minutes. We have no idea what he said. Sunday comes and he shows up!! What?!?!  Okay... 1st he doesn't live in our area so it isn't our investigator; 2nd he isn't full there in the head. He then followed us around and after church he followed us to our meeting. Then an Elder stepped in and helped him leave. It made for a very entertaining Sunday.

Well until next week.

Lots of Love!!
Sister Burke

No comments:

Post a Comment